Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lactation Cookies

Lets talk about lactation. No, seriously. My supply is perfect for Avadya, but I'm going to be heading back to work in one week. ONE WEEK. This means that I have been pumping like a banshee... obsessively trying to stock a decent supply of milk in the freezer and to try to increase my supply so that I can pump when I'm at work for Avadya to use the following day when I am again, at work.

Unfortunately, despite eating very well and drinking more water than you can imagine (seriously, this was proven in the 24-hour urination test when I had pre-eclampsia!) I am not as blessed as most of my lactating friends in that I'm lucky if I get an extra 3-5 ounces a day to stash away. SO, and I can't remember where, but I was introduced to the LACTATION COOKIE. Yes my friends, there is a cookie you can make that ACTUALLY works. In two parts:

1) It gives you extra nutrition and calories you need to actually produce milk.
2) Its full of lactogenic or galactagogues which help your body make milk.

I tried two versions, then made two of my own off each version.

First version: Paleo Lactation Cookies. They are good and have a strong Anise (black licorice) taste. I believe these are the "healthiest" of the two recipes.
Miriam's Paleo Inspired Lactation Cookies:




  • 1/2 C coconut oil, liquified


  • 1/2 C maple syrup


  • 1/2 C Blackstrap Mollasses (for iron and Calcium)


  • 4 eggs


  • 1&1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract


  • 2 Tbsp anise seed (I did not grind them)


  • 2 C almond flour


  • 2 C Oats


  • 1/2 C flax meal (we used a coffee grinder on flax seeds)


  • 1 tsp baking soda


  • 1/2 C macadamia nuts, chopped


  • 1/2 C walnuts, chopped


  • 1/2 C dates, chopped


  • 1 C dark chocolate chips or chunks


  • 4 Tbsp Brewer's Yeast


  • 2 Tbsp Fenugreek Powder



Mix everything together and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. I baked them on wax paper on metal pans. 

Second Version: General Lactation Cookies. These are very yummy! But do have sugar in them.
Miriam's General Inspired Lactation Cookies:
    
     1 C Butter (melted)
     1 C Brown Sugar (packed)
     1/2 C Blackstrap Molasses
     2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
     4 Tbsp Brewer's Yeast
     2 Eggs
     1 Tbsp Vanilla
     2 C Flour
     3 C Oats

     1 tsp Baking Soda
     1 tsp salt
     1 cup chocolate chips (I ran out so I used white cc)
     1 cup nuts (I used macadamia)


Mix everything together and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. I baked them on wax paper on metal pans. 


I liked the taste of the second version best, BUT, the first version worked the best for me, AND the second version is more of a "desert" lactation cookie since it has sugar and white chocolate chips in it. I did replace some of the sugar in the second recipe with molasses, since there's a lot more nutrition in molasses. I also eat 2-3 right after a workout (I burn aprx. 500-750 calories on average with my daily cardio/strength training/daily walk.)

Sorry I did not get pictures of them... for me, they turned out pretty dark and chunky from the nuts and mollasses if you like a visual! 

I did cool them completely and stuck them in the freezer for when I go back to work. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment