Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mir's awesome granola.

Ok, so I might be a little on the crunchy side by saying that I have a granola addiction. Yes friends, there is no greater atrocity than running out of homemade granola. I make this recipe all the time, and usually double, triple, or even quadruple it and freeze extra.

I like to eat a 1/2 cup of this granola with greek yogurt and some fruit for a power-breakfast or snack. Also, breastfeeding mamas: Oats are great for milk production!

Here's my favorite recipe... its been altered so much, I consider it my own now!

Miriam's Favorite Granola
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup Maple Syrup OR Honey (I find the Honey is a bit sweeter).
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons Almond extract 

1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1-2 cups Pecan Pieces (or Almonds or Walnuts, both are tasty!!)

1 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
Directions:
Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Combine oats and shredded coconut in a large bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook Maple Syrup (or Honey), coconut oil, and salt until just simmering. Stir in Almond and Vanilla extracts.

Pour melted mixture over the oat mixture, stirring well with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Spread this mixture out over a large sheet pan (I use parchment paper), place in oven, and bake for 10 minutes before stirring the granola. Repeat 10 minute baking time, followed by stirring, until granola is well-toasted (takes about 4-5 cycles, or about 40-50 minutes).

Cool the granola on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally. When cooled, you can store granola in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few weeks, or at room temperature for two. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment